Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Tragedy in the GC and Second Thoughts of War

The highest ranking member of the GC in Iraq was killed a suicide bomber. It was a big shock for me and really upset me. The group that claims to be responsible called him a traitor. Who really is the traitor here? The real amazing thing is, this happen in the green zone. Supposedly one of the most secure areas in the world. This had to be the work of an inside job. The animals that committed this act had to have good intelligence to risk sending a suicide bomber through all those check points in order to kill this one guy. With all our military might, with our extremely effective bombers, artillery, tanks, infantrymen, it seems we are still losing this war. Not in a military sense, but in a political sense. Me and other grunts I talk to think we should leave. We are upset that we worry so much about other nations when the USA needs to worry about herself. Why spend a trillion dollars in Iraq, when we can use that money to make better schools and hospitals and send more kids to college. We believe that money would be better used for us. To hell with the Iraqis and the rest of the world. However, as a super power, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. Me and a few other grunts are talking about probably voting for Kerry. I think it would be better though if we just stopped trying to help everyone else, and if other countries don't like that, then that's their problem. I think when soviernty is turned over, it maybe be possible they may ask us to leave Iraq. I think we should cut our loses then and leave. Let them sort things out. Since 9-11, we have become rather efficient at protecting ourselves from terrorist attack, I no longer think we need to go to war to protect ourselves from terrorism. We already got a good system set up in protecting from terrorist attacks. People may not like my opinion, but it is my opinion, and I am giving my thoughts as an American soldier and the thoughts of other American soldiers. I will go back to Iraq, and serve my time honorably, I am proud to be an American soldier. But, if we are asked to leave by the new government, then we must leave. There is no question in my mind that if we are told to leave, all Iraqis will precieve us as trying to take control, and there will no longer be a silent majority, there will be a very loud and very aggressive majority. Even if things are still bleak, we must leave, because we may win the battle, we may kill them all in a fight and not take alot of casualties on our own side, but we will have to kill every last one of them and there will be no one left to "liberate." That is why I think we should leave, not because I am against the war, but because I know if we don't leave when we are asked to, we will be forced to defend ourselves from all Iraqis, and that means killing us politically, because we will have to kill millions of them before they stop fighting.

Powell is starting to be alot more honest now that his time is coming to an end. It's like a sense of nothing to lose, so he seems to pretty much say on the news that going to war was probably a bad decision. I really admire his honesty. That was the really good feature about Powell, he seemed like a very honest man. I wish he would have ran for President.
|