Thursday, December 23, 2004

Deadly Mosul Attack

It seems now that instead of being a rocket that hit the chow hall tent, it was a suicide bomber inside the tent. When I first read the story, it made my blood boil. I came to the quick conclusion however, that it was probably a very lucky shot and was bound to eventually happen. Then, it turns out to be a damn suicide bomber. So, an Iraqi being brought into the camp was not checked by security. I'm sure an incident like this has started protocols for everyone except non-Americans soldiers to be checked for explosives. I can't help but think in the days of Vietnam and World War 2, and incident like this wouldn't even probably make it in the news. Let alone get any serious attention from the government. Now, you have the government investing this incident, which to me seems unprecedented. Not only that, it's even started a major security review. It is sad that it had to take something so terrible to really start to get the wheels moving. Hopefully something good comes out this.
I'm finally home for the holidays. I got here about a week ago. One thing I've noticed over the years, when you reach a certain age, Christmas loses its glamour. The only thing I look forward to is seeing my family. Soon, after New Years, I will be back in Iraq involved in combat operations. So, I'm trying to make the most of the time I have back with my family. It seems it's already starting to effect my mother, she keeps saying all she wants for Christmas is me to come home safe. So, I know when it's time to get on that airplane and leave it's going to be really difficult to say goodbye. Being home, makes it feel like Iraq is so distant and far away. I've already had my taste of war, I don't look forward to going back there. However, the funny thing is, if my unit said I could leave the Army instead of being stop loss, I would request to extend my enlistment to goto Iraq. No matter what, where my buddies go, I want to be there with them and face the same dangers with them.
|