Thursday, September 09, 2004

A Honost Days Work

Yesterday we had the grueling 12 mile road march that had to be completed in 3 hours. It was a perfect day for it too, cloudy and a nice breeze and relatively cool. I came in 7th place out of about 80 guys. I felt really good about myself, but my legs and hips were very sore, surprising my feet didn't hurt too much. I didn't try to race to beat everyone, because there isn't really any point to it, I just wanted to make sure that I would make it for sure. Now, all there is left to do for EIB is to run through the testing lanes, and I'll get my Expert Infantry Badge. Once I get it, I will never have to worry about a 12 mile road march that has to be done so quickly. I am so looking forward to getting it pinned on.

For laybour day my Mom, Sister, Cousin and his Fiance came to post, picked me up and we immediately went to New York City. It was my first time being there. I was quite impressed with what the city looked out from outside, just a big island full of sky scrapers. We did alot of walking around and went up the Empire State building and looked around, even where the Twin Towers once stood. It made it seem that much more real what happened that day. It made me very sad to see that, but it also gave me strength in feeling that it is my job to help keep this from ever happening again.

We even got to see the FDNY in action, a bunch of people were taking pictures, I guess the admiration for those fire fighters is still very alive in the city today. My cousin said I should go and be NYPD or FDNY. Fuck that, I already know what it's like to be over-worked and under-paid.

What also surprised me alot in NYC is to see all the flags. There were still many many American flags hanging from buildings. Especially around Rockefeller Center.

I got upset when I would see one loser with a little board that said "Beat Bush." Usually when I see this on TV it doesn't bother me to see protestors, but to see it REAL and in my face, it really pissed me off. The funny thing is, he was passing around papers. I was wearing my Army shirt, and he skipped giving little paper filled with propaganda about how Bush lied while soldiers died, blah blah blah and whatever those ignorant fools like to print and show the world. He is still in my Chain of Command, and I still must respect him as such, because I am a professional and well trained soldier. Whether I agree or dont agree with his policies, and views, he is still my commander and I must respect that.
|