Sunday, April 11, 2004

Uncertain Future

Things are starting to look bleak in the eyes of the world. It reminds me alot of what I've seen on the history channel and what I've learned in High school. It all looks too familiar to the Tet Offensive. I am for one, not comparing the Vietnam war to Iraq, just the result of the Tet Offensive seems similar. I remember that a major offensive was conducted all over Vietnam, and yet we kicked the living hell out of them. However, it gave the world an image that the war has turned against us. I truly believe this is happening now. We can and will crush these militia forces with our military skill and might. However, I don't think we will win the war of opinion. I'm having a hard time talking to my family who are mostly liberals who think we should just leave and nuke the country. They don't see Iraqis as being worth losing one American soldier for. I keep sticking up for them though. I guess I love my country so much, I don't want to see us be humiliated send our military home in disgrace. And the Arabs will claim it as a military victory and that they are stronger than the United States because we ran away. That will be one of the darkest days of my life. I will surely be ashamed of being American if that happens. I don't want to sound like a war monger, but I just wish I could be in Fallujah helping those Marines kick ass. I guess I already did my part in ass kicking when the war started and during the time we did many raids. I guess I miss the feeling of putting my life in the hands of my brother and him trusting me with his life. For us, it is not about fighting for the glory of America, it is fight for each other. It's all about the men next to you, and that's it. America is still suffering from her wounds she received in Vietnam. I don't want to have to deal with a new one. We are kicking the hell out of the insurgence, and yet it seems like we are losing the war. It is really hard to understand. Other times, I do really wonder if American lives are worth losing trying to save Iraq from herself. I don't know how this situation will be resolved with us being there. The militias and terrorists, who are now desperate, and taking hostages to stop the onslaught. If we negotiate with them, it only allows them to get more time to re-organize and prepare for more attacks. I don't believe negotiating with them will work, I think we should just go in a crush them. However, we win militarily, but we lose politically no matter what. The only hope that I have right now that the nation I love and care for so much, to not be sent home in disgrace is if Bush stays in office. I think that will be really hard. Anyone who thinks Bush is real popular is delusional. Alot of people are upset with him. I want us to stay there and finish the job, and if we do not have the intestinal fortitude to crush this resistance, then I fear we will have to pull out in disgrace. I don't think Americans are worth losing if you're not willing to go all the way.
|