Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Al-Sadr, Fighting in Fallujah and EIB

It looks like the US Government is now starting to have serious thought of maybe trying to apprehend this lunatic, Al-Sadr. However, there are many problems that come with this. My stance is kind of mixed. I can't really decide what I think should be done. Going after him could very well rally moderates who don't support him. However, it seems rather crazy to let a man like this run around. It's a tough issue, because I know Israel has the same problem with Arafat. Most Palestinians did not support him until Israel started to make threats towards him. Now, they have seemed to rally behind him.

There has been fierce fighting in Fallujah since the Marines entered the city. Many Marines have been killed and injured. I have never been to Al-Fallujah. I mostly stayed in Baghdad my entire time after the war. However, I do know from many of my friends who have been there, it is a very dangerous place for Americans. This major operation I think is long over due and needs to continue. I think alot of Americans have been dieing because the government hasn't allowed us to really take the gloves off since the war was over. I kind of feel they haven't allowed us to really deal major blows to the resistance. That is why I think the situation is where it is now. Maybe I shouldn't say this, but even being in the major war in Iraq in March. I kind of feel I am missing out and wish I was in Iraq and fighting again.

Today my Platoon had to conduct a 12 mile Road March in 3 hrs or under. Carrying a 40 pound rucksack and a m4 Carbine and all our battle gear (Ammo vest, helmet and weapon magazines). It is a difficult task to complete in 3 hours. Last year, I was not able to do it. However, this year I did make it, but under considerable torcher. My entire body is sore and I am walking with a limp from the blisters in my feat. Anyway, the point of all this is to earn the EIB (Expert Infantry Badge). It is a coveted badge to earn in the Infantry, and is not easy to get. However, the road march is the hardest physically to do during the whole EIB. It was the most difficult march I had done in my 2 years of service, but I wasn't going to give up. Now, all we have to do are classes and land navigation. I am going to try really hard to get my EIB. Which will require me to study alot of notes and practice alot of the tasks that must be complete.
|