Saturday, November 22, 2003

A Fallen Comrade

Two more car bombings, at least 14 IPs killed. It is obvious the insurgents are now just targeting IPs for the most part. It is really sad that these people are being bombed just because they are doing their job. Which is to protect the Iraqi people. I hope they start laying down the hammer on these nut cases.

Today, we had a ceremony for one of our fallen comrade. He passed away in June in a town called Al Fallujah. He was regretabilyregrettably our first loss and luckily our only loss. Finally, we had time apart from our busy job to pay our respects to him. He was a great soldiers, I trusted him with my life. We all will never forget him.

After the memorial, I came back to our guard post. I asked my friend who was guarding in full battle rattle if anything interesting had happened. He replied, saying this morning he saw a commercial airliner pass over with its wing on fire. He told me a guy ran to him and asked if he had seen it. The guy mentioned it might have been an RPG attack. Anyway, over the radio net that all guard posts are on said the plane had hydraulic problems and had to make an emergency landing at the airport about 3 or 4 miles away. My friend said the airport became invisible after it had landed. He said it was obscured by what he described as a massive dust cloud that it created. We are in a 3 story tower, so he got a good view and said you couldn't see the airport which is 3 or 4 miles away. Which on a clear day is clearly visible. I thought the plane probably did just have hydraulic failure. Until, I was listening over the AFN radio station and it mentioned a plane had been hit by a missile and had to make an emergency landing. I am just glad no one got hurt. I doubt very much it was a RPG attack. It was probably hit by a SA-7. Which is a Russian made shoulder fired surface-to-air missile. It is alotikealoetic the stinger missile the US uses. Passenger aircraft don't even have counter-measures against surface-to-air missiles. I just knew one of these days they were eventually going to hit one. Luckily no one got hurt.
|